Scope of authority
The Institute for Medical Education Accreditation (IMEAc) was established since 2016 as an autonomous entity within the Consortium of Thai Medical Schools (COTMES) with the mission of accreditation of medical schools in Thailand and in the region.
The IMEAc has been entitled to accredit Thai medical schools and their medical undergraduate curriculum in continuation from the accrediting task force of COTMES which is responsible for this function under the recognition of the Office of Higher Education Commission, Ministry of Education and the Medical Council of Thailand since 2001.
All medical schools in Thailand need the compulsory accreditation by the Medical Council of Thailand (under the Ministry of Public Health) and the Office of Higher Education Commission (under ministry of education).
Since October 2018, Institute for Medical Education Accreditation (IMEAc) has been awarded WFME Recognition Status.
Acceptance of the Accreditation Agency by Others
COTMES/IMEAc’s accreditation decision is accepted by the Higher Education Authority and Professional Medical Regulatory Authority which are:
- The Office of Higher Education Commission (OHEC), Ministry of Education and
- The Medical Council of Thailand (TMC).
Remarks: The previous standards used for accreditation by the COTMES were:
- Criteria for establishment of new medical schools/curriculum approval 2003/ the Medical Council of Thailand
- Standard criteria for Thai medical school establishment, the commission of Higher Education, Ministry of Education, B.E. 2546 (2003)
- Thailand Qualification Framework 2012, OHEC
- Regulation of Thai Medical Council, stated of accreditation procedures
The accreditation of medical schools in Thailand has been conducted by COTMES since 2001 with the changes as follows:
First round Quality Audit of all Medical schools by COTMES: 9 quality components
NCFMEA recognition of Thai Medical schools
Standard Criteria for Thai Medical Schools Establishment, Thai Medical council and the Commission of Higher Education , 14 Quality components
Second round Quality Assessment of all Medical schools by COTMES: integration of QA and HA KPI
Third round of Quality Accreditation of Medical schools by COTMES: EdPEx criteria
Standard criteria to open/quality improvement for Thai medical school, 15 quality components
2013-2018: Ongoing establishment of Institute for Medical Education Accreditation: Accreditation using international standards (adopted from WFME.BME The 2012 revision).
- 2003: Adoption of WFME.BME The 2012 Revision
- 2016: Adoption of WFME.BME The 2015 Revision
- 2017: Release of an integrated version of TMC and WFME.BME standards for establishment/revision of medical programs and approval of medical schools (TMC.WFME.BME Standards of 2017)
- 2018: Release of Standards for establishment of a new medical school.